Parts of a Roof

  1. Roof Ridge: The rooftop edge, or edge of a rooftop is the flat line running the length of the rooftop where the two rooftop planes meet. This convergence makes the most noteworthy point on a rooftop. Hip and edge shingles are explicitly intended for this part of the roof.
  2. Ridge cap/vent: An ridge vent is an exhaust vent that runs on a level plane along the pinnacle of the rooftop permitting warm, and damp air to escape from the attic. This allows for proper ventilation for your attic and roof.
  3. Flashing: Flashing is a metal material introduced at joint openings, around fireplaces/chimneys, and any dormer windows to prevent water damage. They have the appearance of metal steps and run along the sides of your fireplace/chimneys, and roofing walls.
  4. Hip: The hip on a rooftop is the crossing point of two rooftop planes that meet to frame an inclining edge running from the top to the eave. Hip and edge shingles are explicitly intended for this piece of your roof.
  5. Roof Valley: The rooftop valley is the V-molded convergence between two inclining rooftops joining at a point to give water overflow. These valleys help to capture rain water and drive it to your gutter system.
  6. Roof Gable: A rooftop peak is the three-sided segment of the external wall at the pinnacle of the rooftop between a slanting rooftop and eave. A rooftop gable is in some cases alluded to as a rake.
  7. Drip edge: The drip edge is a limited piece of noncorrosive metal utilized at the rake and eave to assist with preventing water intrusion to the underside of the wall.
  8. Dormer: A dormer is a raised segment of the rooftop. Dormers generally contain a window that projects upward through the slant in the rooftop.
  9. Eave: An eave is the lower line of the rooftop that overhangs the wall typically situated in the initial three feet of your rooftop.